Saturday, February 24, 2007

Right Bait, Wrong Pond...

After a long delay I return to my blog with enthusiasm. Apologies but with new responsibilities comes an increased load on my schedule. I want to address a very eloquent comment made by Mr. Criswell on my last post. Although it had the slight ring of an accusatory declaration, the comments themselves were fair, balanced, and most of all constructive. However, they were made with a unclear vision of my position and ambition concerning Lancaster and I want to clear that up for everyone.
I have never, nor will I ever seek a position of Leadership in Lancaster. I have no desire to lose my wife, which is exactly what would happen if I told her we were moving there! Not that Lancaster isn't an interesting place, it is! I love the country atmosphere of the square and the older "feel" of the vintage homes. I also love the Ten Mile Creek area with larger estate homes nestled in the thick of 100 year Oak and Hickory trees. However, it is not my intention to make the area my home. Without that vested interest in the area, my comments are simply observations of the more obvious issues surrounding Lancaster politics, education, and development as I perceive them.
Yes, they are statements stoked in negativity because these issues are...well...negative issues! I didn't make them that way, nor is it my responsibility to come to Lancaster and hold the hands of those that did! They wouldn't listen if I did. It's my wish to provide insight into these issues for the huddled masses to digest and respond to. I've made recommendations pertaining to alternative courses of action but perhaps you've neglected those statements in your readings Mr. Criswell. Yet, even if I hadn't, the call to leadership as defined by your comment, is a call to another individual. A call to someone that, more than likely, will have read this blog...agreed with some of its assessments and still disagreed with others. They would have the discernment to know what means anything at all and what is, admittedly, a cheap shot at those that I feel deserve exactly that. In all, they'll laugh at what's funny, ignore what they don't agree with, and act on the information they may not have known.
I truly agree with 90% of what you stated and honor you in this post for it. I try to apply the vast majority of these points in my personal life and professional life as it pertains to my own commission appointment and recent promotion. I just think you're fishing in the wrong pond on the leadership thing where it pertains to Lancaster. Perhaps you might call your counsel people and give them that speech?

6 comments:

Gadfly said...

Re your previous post, Patrick Criswell is on P&Z.

J Melcher said...

The ace investigator picked up the clue from Mr Criswell's own post ... "as an ex-P&Z commissioner during the “The Preserve” public hearings" that we lesser readers would otherwise have missed, and puts it into the headline. Amazing! Criswell on the P&Z!

Anonymous said...

Namon, I am reposting some of my bullets with follow-up comments highlighted in bold print:
“I see Lancaster facing a development challenge that will require our leaders to:”
• Create a robust environment to keep people from getting distracted-Mayor Joe Tillotson is doing just that! Politics is a distraction and Joe is working hard to make Lancaster a better robust environment to live and work in. (I’ll vote for you again Joe). Note: Namon your blog does point out some counterfeit leaders, but Joe isn’t one of them.
• Develop in stages: give the people time to discover what works- City managers and staff currently developing such stages. Yes, they have learned from past mistakes and continue to learn.
• Find the right combination of levers to develop new values and capabilities- Lancaster City Council; folks keep up the great work, but don’t stop and rest on your laurels!
• Give people a stake in developing their capacity- The community and its commissioners/board members who spend time trying to make Lancaster better by being involved.
Yes, we don’t live in a perfect world Namon, but Lancaster is making strides forward and your blog does make some great points for all of us to do better! Using an analogy, your blog reminds me shopping at a supermarket (okay, we only have two, Minyards and Wal-Mart) but when I buy groceries I buy what I need and not the whole store. So, yes, I buy into some of your points but others we can do with out. Thank you for being so concern about my city, I hope it will be better than the one you currently reside in the near future and that you might consider living here someday. Lancaster is a diamond in the rough for now, but we are slowing polishing it to be a community that will attract businesses and homeowners for many to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Point well taken. I do agree that Joe isn't part of the problem but sometimes walking silently and carrying a big stick means...you have to have a stick.

Gadfly said...

Melcher, I didn't even notice that; I was simply speaking from memory. Take a long walk off a short pier, preferably into a shark's mouth or Joanna C's notebook.

Anonymous said...

I guess that depends what is perceived as a big stick, but I must agree with you that I am also fond of the West African proverb: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." It worked well for Teddy Roosevelt and apparently works well for Joe even if it might be a small stick and Joe has one hand tied behind his back, but he does extraordinarily well under those circumstances he has to encounter.